Kennedy Space Center is one of NASA's ten field centers. It is a multi-user spaceport, launching rockets for a wide variety of government and private customers.
There are hundreds of buildings in the KSC grounds. Some of the most notable features are:
- The Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB). This is where NASA's largest rockets get assembled for launch. The building is 160 m (525 ft) tall.
- The Launch Control Center
- The Operations and Checkout Building, including astronaut accommodation and suit-up area.
- The Space Station factory.
- The Space Shuttle Landing Facility (4.8 km / 3 mi long).
- The public visitor complex.
KSC is located next to Cape Canaveral Space Force Station (CCSFS). Although they are separate entities, KSC and CCSFS work together and share resources.
- Name: John F. Kennedy Space Center (KSC)
- Previous name: NASA Launch Operations Center
- Location: Merritt Island, East coast of Florida, USA.
- Area: 580 km2 (144,000 acres)